Spicy shrimp and coconut stew flavored with Thai red chili paste, jalapeños, and fragrant garlic and onions. This creamy soup is dairy-free, gluten-free, and perfect for cold weather!
Spicy Shrimp and Coconut Stew
Makes 3 quarts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, small chop
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, sliced- seeds taken out for less heat
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon of Thai red chili paste (or less pending heat)
- 2 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans coconut milk light
- 1/2 bunch collard greens, stems removed, chopped
- 1 ½ lb shrimp, cleaned tail on
In a large pot over high heat add olive oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Add onions and cook for a few minutes. Then add garlic, mixing well.
Add jalapeños and red pepper with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the Thai chili paste mixing to cover the vegetables. Toast for a few minutes then add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Once boiling add the sweet potatoes and lower to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add collard green and shrimp and cook for another 10 minutes. Adjust to seasoning to taste with salt.