Flavorful vegan ratatouille filled with vegetables and Italian spices! This traditional recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and super easy to make for a healthy plant-based meal.
1 yellow onion, small dice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red pepper, medium dice
1 green pepper, medium dice
2 frying peppers, medium dice
1 eggplant (2 1/2 cups), small dice
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 (28oz) tomato puree
1 (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
2 cups zucchini, half mooned
2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chiffon
To taste salt & pepper
- Heat up a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot add oil swirling to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add onions and garlic cooking for a few minutes until translucent and aromatic.
- Add red, green, and frying peppers to the pan continuously mixing for about 5 minutes. Season with a large pinch of salt then add eggplant and dry Italian seasoning.
- Then add the tomato puree and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer on low for about 30-45 minutes. Then add the zucchini, mixing well. Taste to see if you need to add any more salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Cooked for another 15 minutes or until the zucchini and just tender. Stir in fresh basil, and adjust seasoning to taste.
**CHEF TIP: I like adding the zucchini last to give the ratatouille some crunch.**