2 ¼ LB sweet potatoes, ends cut off, grated
½ white onion, grated, or finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 eggs, beaten
¼ – ½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Olive oil, for frying
- Grate the sweet potatoes on a cheese grater (medium-large sized).
- To remove excess moisture, take cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel and mound the grated sweet potatoes in the middle. Grabbing all four corners squeeze the moisture from the potatoes.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with onions. Mix well. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add eggs mixing well. Add in flour mix well. Mix should be more wet but still be able to form a ball when squeezed into one.
- Heat oil up in a large pan. Once oil is hot. Scoop out a little bit of the mixture and form into a ball. Drop into hot oil. Once the bottom is set (about 10 seconds) gently flatten it with the back of the spoon. Brown for a few minutes on each side. Then place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until mix is finished.
- These latkes are great on their own but even better with apple sauce!