1 large eggplant, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
Salt & pepper, as needed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (15oz) cannellini or navy beans, mashed
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
To taste salt & pepper
¾- 1 ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare eggplant and lay on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake until tender (easily pierced with a fork) about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the beans with a fork in a medium bowl. Add chopped parsley and basil.
- Once eggplant is done cooking. Add to a food processor with garlic. Pulse until eggplant is mostly broken down into small pieces.
- Add to the bowl with mashed beans. Add egg and mix well. Season with a large pinch of salt & pepper.
- Then add breadcrumbs ¼ cup at a time until you reach a consistency where you can easily form a ball. It should be sticky yet firm enough to hold together. Shape into about 6-8 balls.
- Line meatballs on parchment lined baking sheet. Spray or drizzle oil over each ball. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden on top and bottom. Enjoy with your favorite pasta!